Monday, October 25, 2010

There's Something Very Wrong With This Country

Amidst all the campaign ads floating around the television and internet this time of year I have discovered something: politics suck. I'm not saying this as in politics suck, I want no part in them, I'm saying politics suck, I want a bigger part in them. 

Honestly, how can I say the country is working in our best interests when it doesn't even know what I want or how I feel? I don't get to choose the laws or bills; I have to sit back and hope these guys up in the court houses decide that they feel the same as me. But who the hell are these guys? America boasts the claim that we're a democratic state, and what's democracy?

Democracy comes from the Greek word that means "for the people."

I'm a people! persons, person... I'm one of those people and I don't see anybody for me. You know why? Because we live in a society where only a portion of the people are represented. NOTICE: I take neither the side of the Republican or Democrat, because really, I think the whole Republican/Democrat thing is a terrible crippling parasite on our government. Why do we only have two parties? There isn't only two sides to each issue. You can't just flip a coin and say heads is democrat, tails is republican. It's more of a twenty sided die... maybe two or three.

I know what you're thinking, 'Doh, we have the Green Party, Libertarian Party and stuff and you can be independent,' well you CAN be. But it has little effect on government as a whole. The two party system is so engrained within our country that any figure in a non "major" party will be overlooked. That's like saying you can either try to support Justin Beiber or Lady Gaga and if you don't want that there are some local bands that may suite your needs. IT'S JUST NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL!!!

We then take a single dude (or dudette) from either one party or the other and tell them to work in the countries best interests...

How the hell are they supposed to do that?  Nearly 40% of the nation will be unhappy with them at all times simply because they label themselves as one party or the other. That means they have about 60% going for them. In college, you know what 60% percent gets you? A FAIL! (I pulled the percentage out of my ass but I bet it's fairly accurate.)

Obviously, this is an issue that unless we plan on overthrowing the government sometime soon will not be changed but that doesn't change the fact that it is a problem with our society. America, free to make your own choices? Yeah right.

No comments:

Post a Comment