Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ke$ha is a Nice Lady!

You got a lil somethin on your face, oh that's just glitter
Once again Ke$ha is queen of the download charts with her newest single "We R Who We R." Heh, for a moment I thought this was gonna be some kind of inspirational song. I was wrong. But not disappointed per say, though I do feel it is her weakest single yet. It feels too much like her early singles without adding any flavor like "Your Love is My Drug" or "Take It Off." And let's be honest, when I first heard the line "Dj turn it up, up up, up" I legit thought that the song was skipping. Then I remembered it was digital and couldn't skip. Oh well, it's still a good song and I'm sure a definite club hit (I don't really go to clubs so I can't say from experience)

But an even newer single not yet discovered by the masses offers something new for sure. "Sleazy" is her style taken in a new direction. And the beat sounds nothing like her prior songs! I'm excited, although the title does nothing new for her image.

Yes, through all this fame, Ke$ha seems to be getting a bad reputation. Look at that face, does that really look like the face of a hoar to you? Rhetorical question, of course.

I wanna clear up some things about my girl Ke$ha. Now when I say my girl, I mean I have all of her singles and have not yet and don't plan to purchase her full albums. That's our relationship.

But, she's being treated unfairly, with people are calling her "generic""unoriginal," "untalented" or even a "Lady Gaga Wannabe?" How can you say that about her? First people say she's unoriginal, THEN they go and say she's not even singing. Wait a minute, how do you sell over 5 million song downloads in a song where you're not singing. What's  she doing?

I call it rapping, though many people seem to not like the term, I can think of no better way to put it. Especially, after hearing "Sleazy," I think it's safe to say that she is a rapper of sorts. Now think about this, when is the last time you heard a white girl obsessed with hipsters and drinking come out and start "rapping" to an infectious dance beat?

Never?

I believe that means she's original. Also covers the not generic. She's quite the contrary actually. Even her song lyrics, who some say are mindless, are no more mindless then any other pop song on the radio today. She actually stands out in a way, where as most females with dirty mouths subjugate themselves to being the focus of a song, Ke$ha does what any male rapper does, and talks about the opposite sex like they're some kind of toy rather than fellow people. Perhaps not the most ideal role model, but hell, who says she needs to be a role model? She didn't start out on the disney channel and one day decide being risque would help her image (cough cough Miley) she came onto the scene feeling like P Diddy and drinking Jack early in the morning.

(I feel like her and Asher Roth are perfect for each other)

A Lady Gaga wannabe? Hardly, their music rarely sounds similar and their singings are of separate genres. Their subject matter pretty much never focus on the same thing, Gaga focusing on love and sex while Ke$ha sticks to drinking and partying. And she only came out a year after Gaga! They're contemporaries, and both unique in their own way. For those who say Ke$ha can't make music, then I guess over 10 million people have bought a recording of... not music. But shit, she must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment